Mattagami Lake is a large Canadian Shield lake with 170 miles of shoreline. The high population of feeder fish produces great numbers of good size Northern Pike.
Northern Pike in our lake are found just about everywhere and are easy to catch. In the spring, many of the larger Trophy Northern Pike are caught as they are in shallow water feeding on spawning Walleyes. Our guests have caught Northern Pike up to 37-pounds.
Like all lakes with Whitefish, some of our big trophy Northerns go deeper in mid-summer to feed on whitefish and can still be taken with the right techniques. Don't worry, there are still lots of large pike found in weedy bays, rocky points and other places where you find bass and Walleye.
There are also Northern Pike in the Minisinakwa River with some monsters that go up stream to feed.
Ontario Northern Pike Fishing Regulations:
· Limit: 6 pike with a sport license. 2 pike with a conservation license.
· Restrictions (Sport License): Only 2 fish can be greater than 24 inches & only 1 can be greater than 34 inches.
· Restrictions (Conservation License): Only 1 fish can be greater than 24 inches & Zero (0) can be greater than 34 inches.
· Provincial Fish Sanctuary: Parts of the river are closed in the spring.
· Open Season: Open All Year